Chaco tecka

Chaco tecka is a mygalomorph spider of Argentina, named after its type locality: Rio Tecka, Chubut, Argentina. Females can be distinguished from those of other species of Chaco by the strong and numerous spines on metatarsus IV and by the presence of pseudopreening combs on metatarsi III and IV. From C. patagonica and C. sanjuanina, females differ also in the patterned cephalothorax and legs.

The female has a total length of 8.4 millimetres (0.33 in); a cephalothorax length of 3.02 millimetres (0.119 in) and width of 2.55 millimetres (0.100 in); a cephalic region length of 1.87 millimetres (0.074 in) and width of 1.85 millimetres (0.073 in); a fovea width of 0.37 millimetres (0.015 in); an OQ length of 0.34 millimetres (0.013 in) and width of 0.61 millimetres (0.024 in); a labium length of 0.29 millimetres (0.011 in) and width of 0.67 millimetres (0.026 in); and a sternum length of 1.71 millimetres (0.067 in) and width of 1.42 millimetres (0.056 in). Its cephalic region is convex; the fovea is slightly procurved. The labium possesses no cuspules. A serrula is absent; the sternal sigilla is small and shallow; the sternum is rebordered. Its cephalothorax is yellowish brown; the legs are of the same colour, but lighter; it carries darker spots on its cephalic region, on the retrolateral apex of the femora, the middle of the patellae, and the base of the tibiae.

Imre Kovács

Imre Kovács (* 26. November 1921 in Budapest; † 9. März 1996 ebenda) war ein ungarischer Fußballspieler. Mit der Nationalmannschaft seines Heimatlandes nahm er an der Fußball-Weltmeisterschaft 1954 teil.

Imre Kovács begann seine Karriere beim Verein Tatabányai Bányász Sport Club in der gleichnamigen Stadt. Zuvor war er bereits bei einigen regionalen Vereinen in der Jugend aktiv. Nach nur kurzer Zeit in Tatabánya wechselte Kovács zu Diósgyőri Vasgyárak Testgyakorló Köre, ehe er sich 1945 MTK Budapest FC, damals bekannt als MTK Hungária FC, anschloss. In einer Mannschaft unter Anderem mit Nándor Hidegkuti, Mihály Lantos oder József Zakariás gewann Kovács während seiner Zeit bei MTK dreimal die ungarische Fußballmeisterschaft. In der Saison 1951 wurde man Erster mit vier Punkten vor Kispest-Honvéd Budapest, dem Armeeverein Ungarns, bei dem zur damaligen Zeit die besten Spieler des Landes, etwa Ferenc Puskás oder Sándor Kocsis, spielten. Zwei Jahre darauf hatte man als Tabellenführer nach 26 Spielen drei Punkte Vorsprung erneut vor Kispest-Honvéd und gewann dadurch erneut die Meisterschaft. Seine letzte Meisterschaft mit MTK Hungária gewann Imre Kovács in der Saison 1957/58, als man in der Nemzeti Bajnokság den ersten Rang mit einem Punkt Vorsprung vor Kispest-Honvéd belegte. Auch die Magyar Kupa, den ungarischen Fußballpokal, gewann Kovács mit MTK während seiner Zeit einmal, der Titelgewinn gelang im Jahre 1952 durch ein 3:2 im Endspiel gegen Dorogi Bányász. Imre Kovács spielte bis 1959 bei MTK Hungária, ehe er seine aktive Karriere beendete und Fußballtrainer wurde. Nachdem er bereits seit 1956 MTK als Spielertrainer trainiert hatte, arbeitete er bis 1964 als Coach bei dem Verein, gewann aber außer dem Mitropapokal 1962 keinen Titel. Als größter Erfolg seiner Trainertätigkeit bei MTK ist das Erreichen des Endspiels im Europapokal der Pokalsieger 1963/64 zu werten, wo MTK mit 3:3 nach Verlängerung und 0:1 an Sporting Lissabon scheiterte, nachdem man zuvor unter Anderem Fenerbahçe Istanbul und Celtic Glasgow besiegt hatte. Kovács fungierte bei diesem internationalen Erfolg als Trainer zusammen mit Béla Volentik. Nach dem Ende seiner Zeit als Trainer bei MTK trainierte er viele kleinere Vereine, aber auch für kurze Zeit Újpest Budapest, Videoton FC und erneut MTK Budapest.

In der ungarischen Fußballnationalmannschaft wurde Imre Kovács zwischen 1948 und 1952 insgesamt achtmal eingesetzt. Mit der Nationalmannschaft seines Heimatlandes nahm er an der Fußball-Weltmeisterschaft 1954 in der Schweiz teil. Bei dem Turnier, bei dem er nicht eingesetzt wurde, erreichte die ungarische Mannschaft, die als großer Favorit in die Weltmeisterschaft gegangen war, das Endspiel, unterlag dort aber überraschend gegen Deutschland mit 2:3. Auch nahm er mit Ungarn an den Olympischen Sommerspielen 1952 in Helsinki teil, wo er im Erstrundenspiel gegen Rumänien in Turku (2:1) sein letztes Länderspiel machte. Seine Mannschaft indes gewann das Turnier, nachdem im Endspiel Jugoslawien mit 2:0 besiegt wurde.

Vela Ovéquiz

Vela Ovéquiz or Ovéquez (died after June 1085) was a count in the Kingdom of Galicia during the reigns of García II (1065–71) and Alfonso VI (1071–1109). He and his family owned properties around Lugo, which controlled the entrance to Galicia from western Asturias, where he was also a landholder. He was married to Aldonza Muñoz, daughter of Count Muño Fernández and Elvira. They had a son, Rodrigo Vélaz, who was also a count.

On 28 February 1068, during the reign of García, Count Vela witnessed a royal charter issued to the monastery of San Antolín de Toques on the occasion of the consecration of Bishop Gudesteus of Iria Flavia. In the fall of 1071, after Alfonso VI had conquered the kingdom, Vela and his brothers Rodrigo and Bermudo attended his court and appear as counts and witnesses in several charters of the new king of Galicia.

Vela may have been killed in the great defeat at Zalaca on 23 October 1086. There is no full record of those slain in the battle, but several prominent Galicians disappear from the historical record around that time and they may have been part of a contingent known to have been particularly hard hit by the enemy. Vela’s last recorded action was to witness a charter of 25 June 1085.

After the defeat, a rebellion broke out in Galicia in favour of the deposed king García. The forces of the Ovéquiz family seized the fortress of Lugo—with whose bishop they had long been in conflict—and killed the royal merino who was defending the town. It is possible that Vela took part in these events if he was not killed at Zalaca. The see of Lugo was definitely vacant at the time, and the previous bishop, Vistruaro, had probably died at Zalaca.

Scott Barnes

Scott Michael Barnes (né le 5 septembre 1987 à Springfield, Massachusetts, États-Unis) est un lanceur gaucher de baseball sous contrat avec les Blue Jays de Toronto de la Ligue majeure.

Scott Barnes est drafté d’abord par les Nationals de Washington, qui en font un chois de 43e ronde en 2005, mais il ne signe pas avec l’équipe et va jouer pour la Saint John’s University à New York. Les Giants de San Francisco le repêchent en 8e ronde en 2008 et il amorce sa carrière professionnelle dans les ligues mineures la même année avec des clubs affiliés à cette franchise. Le 27 juillet 2009, alors qu’il joue toujours dans les mineures, Barnes passe aux Indians de Cleveland, qui l’obtiennent des Giants en retour de Ryan Garko, un joueur de premier but.

Barnes effectue ses débuts dans le baseball majeur le 30 mai 2012 avec les Indians de Cleveland, lançant une manche en relève sans accorder de point aux Royals de Kansas City. En 2012 et 2013, il apparaît dans 22 matchs des Indians, réussit 26 retraits sur des prises et maintient une moyenne de points mérités de 5,20 en 27 manches et deux tiers lancées, avec une défaite comme seule décision. Après une année entière passée en ligues mineures avec les Clippers de Columbus, club-école des Indians, il est transféré aux Orioles de Baltimore le 26 novembre 2014. Après une année dans les mineures, Barnes est réclamé au ballottage par les Rangers du Texas le 8 décembre 2014. Le 23 décembre suivant, il est réclamé au ballottage une fois de plus, par les Blue Jays de Toronto.

Zeche Wohlverwahrt

Die Zeche Wohlverwahrt war ein Steinkohlen-Bergwerk in Horst an der Ruhr, einem Stadtteil von Essen.

Eine erste Verleihung der Rechte des Kohlenfeldes erfolgte am 6. August 1791. Nach Stollenvortrieb und Kohlenabbau ruhte der Betrieb zwischen Mai 1821 und 1. Mai 1831. Im Jahre 1842 betrug die Fördermenge der Zeche Wohlverwahrt etwa 8.000 Tonnen. Sie hatte einen tonnlägigen Schacht. 1850 wurde der Betrieb erneut eingestellt. 1857 war dann die Verleihung des Geviertfeldes Wohlverwahrt. Am 18. Januar 1858 gab es eine Konsolidierung zur Zeche Vereinigte Wohlverwart. Dazu gehörte auch die Zeche Eiberg, nach deren Stilllegung 1914 die Berechtsame wieder frei war.

Der Essener Unternehmer Wilhelm Vogelsang (1877–1939) erwarb die Zeche 1910. In diesem Jahr wurde das heute noch erhaltene lange Zechengebäude errichtet. Die Förderung 1918/1919 über den neu angelegten Schacht aufzunehmen, scheiterte zunächst am Wasserzufluss. 1920 betrug die gerade wieder aufgenommene Förderung etwa 10.000 Tonnen bei etwa 65 Beschäftigten. 1921 fielen große Teile einem Ruhrhochwasser zum Opfer, bevor am 1. März 1923 der Förderbetrieb eingestellt wurde. Nach völliger Stilllegung am 30. Juni 1925 ruhte der Betrieb bis 1937.

Nach dem Tode Wilhelm Vogelsangs 1939 wurde die Zeche von seiner Witwe Antonie Vogelsang geb. Weltmann zusammen mit dem Sohn Wilhelm Vogelsang II. (1917–1995) weitergeführt. Ein seigerer Schacht mit einer Teufe von 86 Metern und einem Durchmesser von 3,8 Metern wurde 1939 niedergebracht. 1940 belief sich die Förderung auf 41.000 Tonnen bei 164 Beschäftigten. 1942 ereignete sich ein schwerer Wassereinbruch aus alten Grubenbauen. Im Jahre 1943 erreichte man die größte Fördermenge auf Wohlverwahrt II mit knapp 70.000 Tonnen bei 243 Beschäftigten. Sie besaß fünf Sohlen. 1955 erreichte die Fördermenge nochmal einen zweiten Höchststand von knapp 65.000 Tonnen bei 237 Bergleuten.

Auf der Zeche fuhren am 20. März 1962 die letzten etwa 100 Bergleute ein, bevor wegen drohenden Wassereinbruchs drei Tage später die Förderung eingestellt wurde. Am 30. September 1962 wurde die Zeche Wohlverwahrt endgültig stillgelegt.

Heute ist noch die Halle erhalten, die alle Funktionen wie Schachthalle, Förderung, Wäsche, Brikettherstellung, Schmiede und Kaue in sich vereinigt hatte. Eine private Firma, die Kanu- und Raftingtouren veranstaltet, hat heute hier ihren Sitz. Das Gebäude steht seit 1989 unter Denkmalschutz und gehört zur Themenroute 12 der Route der Industriekultur.

Siehe auch: Wasserkraftwerk Horster Mühle

Besucherzentrum und Ankerpunkte (von West nach Ost):  Museum der Deutschen Binnenschifffahrt | Innenhafen Duisburg | LVR-Industriemuseum Oberhausen | Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord | Gasometer Oberhausen | Aquarius-Wassermuseum | Villa Hügel | Nordsternpark | Welterbe Zeche Zollverein und Kokerei Zollverein | Zeche Ewald | Chemiepark Marl | Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum-Dahlhausen | Henrichshütte | Jahrhunderthalle Bochum | Umspannwerk Recklinghausen | Deutsches Bergbau-Museum | Zeche Nachtigall | Schiffshebewerk Henrichenburg | DASA | Kokerei Hansa | Zeche Zollern II/IV | Hohenhof | Freilichtmuseum Hagen | Lindenbrauerei Unna | Maximilianpark Hamm

Themenrouten (aufsteigend nach Nummern):  1. Duisburg: Stadt und Hafen | 2. Industrielle Kulturlandschaft Zollverein | 3. Duisburg: Industriekultur am Rhein | 4. Oberhausen: Industrie macht Stadt | 5. Krupp und die Stadt Essen | 6. Dortmund: Dreiklang Kohle, Stahl und Bier | 7. Industriekultur an der Lippe | 8. Erzbahn-Emscherbruch | 9. Industriekultur an Volme und Ennepe | 10. Sole, Dampf und Kohle | 11. Frühe Industrialisierung | 12. Geschichte und Gegenwart der Ruhr | 13. Auf dem Weg zur blauen Emscher | 14. Kanäle und Schifffahrt | 15. Bahnen im Revier | 16. Westfälische Bergbauroute | 17. Rheinische Bergbauroute | 18. Chemie, Glas und Energie | 19. Arbeitersiedlungen | 20. Unternehmervillen | 21. Brot, Korn und Bier | 22. Mythos Ruhrgebiet | 23. Parks und Gärten | 24. Industrienatur | 25. Panoramen und Landmarken | 26. Sakralbauten | 27. Eisen & Stahl | 28. Wasser: Werke, Türme und Turbinen | 29. Bochum – Industriekultur im Herzen des Reviers | 30. Gelsenkirchen | per Rad

Ruhrquelle | Hennetalsperre | Möhnetalsperre | Kettenschmiedemuseum | Rohrmeisterei Schwerte | Ruhrflutbrücke Schwerte-Ergste | Buschmühle | Hohensyburg  | Pumpspeicherkraftwerk Koepchenwerk | Hengsteysee | Ruhrviadukt Herdecke | Energiewirtschaftlicher Wanderweg Herdecke | Burg Wetter | Kraftwerk Harkort | Gemeinschaftswasserwerk Volmarstein | Villa Bönnhoff | Haus Schede | Schlebuscher Erbstollen | Bergerdenkmal auf dem Hohenstein  | Wasserkraftwerk Hohenstein | Ruhrviadukt Witten | Wasserturm Bommerholz | Stahlhammer Bommern  | Deutsche Edelstahlwerke  | Gruben- und Feldbahnmuseum Zeche Theresia | Zeche Nachtigall | Kohlenniederlage Nachtigall | Ruhrschleuse Herbede | Privatbrennerei Sonnenschein | Edelstahlfabrik Lohmann | Kemnader See | Schleuse Blankenstein und Wasserwerk Stiepel | Stanzwerk | Henrichshütte | Ruhrtalbahn | Birschel-Mühle | Leinpfad unterhalb des Isenbergs | Schwimmbrücke Dahlhausen | Schleuse Dahlhausen | Bergbauwanderweg Dahlhausen | Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum-Dahlhausen  | Schleuse Horst | Horster Mühle  | Zeche Wohlverwahrt | Holteyer Hafen | Dinnendahlsche Fabrik | Fördergerüst Zeche Heinrich | Bahnhof Kupferdreh und Museumsbahn Hespertalbahn | Kulturlandschaft Deilbachtal | Baldeneysee | Zeche Carl Funke | Villa Hügel | Neukircher Schleuse | Abtei Werden | Papiermühlenschleuse | Eisenbahnbrücke Kettwig | Kettwiger Stausee | Laufwasserkraftwerk und Schleuse Kettwig | Schloss Landsberg | Kloster Saarn | Leder- und Gerbermuseum in der Lederfabrik Abel | Lederfabrik Lindgens | Villa Josef Thyssen | Textilfabrik J. Caspar Troost | Haus Ruhrnatur | Wasserkraftwerk Kahlenberg | Wasserbahnhof Mülheim | RWW-Hauptverwaltung | Stadt-Viadukt und Ruhrbrücke Mülheim | Ringlokschuppen Mülheim und Camera Obscura | Friedrich Wilhelms-Hütte | Aquarius-Wassermuseum | Stadthafen Mülheim | Wasserkraftwerk Raffelberg | Solbad Raffelberg | Ruhrschleuse Duisburg und Ruhrwehr | Museum der Deutschen Binnenschifffahrt  | Haniel Museum | Rheinorange

Leeberg (Niederhollabrunn)

Der Leeberg Niederhollabrunn in der Marktgemeinde Niederhollabrunn im Bezirk Korneuburg in Niederösterreich ist ein unter Denkmal- und Naturschutz stehendes Hügelgrab (lateinisch tumulus, Plural tumuli).

Der im Grundriss runde Leeberg weist eine Höhe von 237 m ü. A. auf und ragt rund 10 m aus der ihn umgebenden flachen Ebene. Auf der Spitze des Hügels steht ein Kreuz. Der Tumulus wurde während der Hallstattkultur angeschüttet. Im 19. Jahrhundert erfolgte eine unsachgemäße Ausgrabung, von der alle Funde verschollen sind.

Der Hügel besteht aus Löss bzw. Lösslehm. Aufgrund der Steilheit und Trockenheit seiner Hänge konnte und kann der Leeberg nicht landwirtschaftlich genützt werden und es bildeten sich wertvolle pannonische Trockenrasen aus. Im Österreichischen Trockenrasenkatalog wurden diese als regional bedeutend eingestuft und stellen eine artenreiche Insel in der heute ausgeräumten Ackerlandschaft dar. Eine Zerstörung durch Dünger- und Pestizideinwehung von den umliegenden landwirtschaftlichen Intensivbewirtschaftungen gilt jedoch als wahrscheinlich.

In der Katastralgemeinde Niederfellabrunn befindet sich ein weiterer, etwas kleinerer Grabhügel.

Koordinaten:

Swinging on a Star

Swinging on a Star“ is an American pop standard with music composed by Jimmy Van Heusen and lyrics by Johnny Burke. It was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1944 film Going My Way, winning an Academy Award for Best Original Song that year, and has been recorded by numerous artists since then. In 2004 it finished at #37 in AFI’s 100 Years…100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

Songwriter Jimmy Van Heusen was at Crosby’s house one evening for dinner, and to discuss a song for the movie Going My Way. During the meal one of the children began complaining about how he didn’t want to go to school the next day. The singer turned to his son and said to him, „If you don’t go to school, you might grow up to be a mule. Do you wanna do that?“

Van Heusen thought this clever rebuke would make a good song for the movie. He pictured Crosby, who played a priest, talking to a group of children acting much the same way as his own child had acted that night. Van Heusen took the idea to his partner lyricist Johnny Burke, who approved. They wrote the song.

The first recording of „Swinging on a Star“, with Bing Crosby with John Scott Trotter and His Orchestra, took place in Los Angeles on February 7, 1944, and was released as Decca Records on Disc No. 18597 paired with „Going My Way“. the Williams Brothers Quartet, including a young Andy Williams, sang backup vocals behind Crosby.

Some additional recordings:

The song was parodied in a The Far Side cartoon, which depicted a man-turned-pig saying to his wife, „Hey! So I made the wrong decision! [referring to the part of the song which says „Or would you rather be a pig“]… But you know, I really wasn’t sure I wanted to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar!“

In 1969, Ray Stevens sang „Gitarzan“, which featured the wrong notes from „Swinging on a Star“: „Carrying Moonbeams Home in a Jar.“

During his 2009 Tour of Refusal, Morrissey occasionally sang the chorus over the chorus of his 2004 hit „First of the Gang to Die“.

A Prairie Home Companion guitarist Pat Donohue wrote „Would You Like to Play Guitar,“ which wittily advises aspiring musicians against the practical perils of a full-time music career.

The song was the title song for the television sitcom, „Out Of This World,“ about a teenage girl born of an alien father and earth mother. It’s sung first as originally written and then again with lyrics changed to fit the content of the series.

Joachim Giæver

Joachim Gotsche Giæver (15 August 1856 – 29 May 1925) was a Norwegian born, American civil engineer who designed major structures in the United States..

Joachim Gotsche Giæver was born at the village of Jøvik at Lyngen in Troms, Norway. He was the youngest of eight children born to Jens Holmboe Giæver (1813–1884) and Hanna Birgithe Holmboe (1821–1903). His father was a leader in the local fishing industry. Giæver entered the Norwegian Institute of Technology (Trondhjems Tekniske Læreanstalt) at Trondheim from which he was graduated in 1881 with the degree of Civil Engineer.

He migrated to the United States in 1882, where he found employment as a draftsman at Saint Paul and Pacific Railroad in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1883, he went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to work as a draftsman and later civil engineers for the Schiffler Bridge & Iron Co. where he designed several bridges over the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers. He was married in New York during 1883 to Louise C. Schmedling of Trondhjem, Norway.

In 1886, he designed the structural framework for the Statue of Liberty. His work involved design computations, detailed fabrication and construction drawings, as well as oversight of construction. In completing his engineering for the statue’s frame, he worked from drawings and sketches produced by the designer, Gustave Eiffel. In 1891, he went to Chicago to become Assistant Chief Engineer of the World’s Columbian Exposition. In 1898, he became Chief Engineer for the firm of D. H. Burnham & Company, a position he held until 1915.

In 1916, he entered into partnership with Frederick P. Dinkelberg to form the architectural and engineering firm of Giaver and Dinkelberg. Later with the architect firm of Thielbar and Furgard; Giaver and Dinkleberg, he assisted with the design on the 35 East Wacker Building (also known as the Jewellers‘ Building) located in downtown Chicago. Designed during 1924 with construction finished during 1926, at the time it was America’s largest building outside of New York.

He was a trustee of the Norwegian American Hospital in Chicago, President of the Chicago Norske Klub and a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. He was decorated as a Knight, 1st class of the Order of St. Olav in 1920.

Fogou

A fogou or fougou[citation needed] (pronounced „foo-goo“) is an underground, dry-stone structure found on Iron Age or Romano-British defended settlement sites in Cornwall. Fogous have similarities with souterrains or earth-houses of northern Europe and particularly Scotland including the Orkney Islands. Fewer than 15 confirmed fogous have been found.

Fogous consist of a buried, usually corbelled stone wall, tapering at the top and capped by stone slabs. They were mainly constructed by excavating a sloping trench about 5 ft (1.5 m) wide and 6 ft (1.8 m) deep, lining it with drystone walling as stated, which was battered inwards and roofed with flat slabs; soil from excavation was heaped on top as at Pendeen Vau or incorporated in the rampart of the enclosure as at Halliggye Fogou, Trelowarren.

The purpose of a fogou is no longer known. Their central location in settlements and the work that evidently went into constructing them is indicative of their importance to the community. It has been conjectured that they were used for religious purposes, as refuges, or for food storage. Many are oriented south-west-north-east, facing the prevailing wind. Their use as refuge during raiding trips was first suggested by Darvill in his book ‚Prehistoric Britain‘ (London: Batsford. 1987, page 177). An argument was put forward by Kenneth L MacGregor; was that they mainly served as refuges since food storage is impractical due to the damp conditions and ritual use is unlikely because the Celtic Druid tradition focused more on the living world.

However, being open at both ends, a fogou could provide ideal conditions for food storage, especially the drying of meat[dubious ] or storage of dairy products such as milk, butter and cheese where natural moulds would assist in preservation of perishable foodstuffs. Ashpits found at Trewardreva and in the circular side-chamber at Carn Euny were probably for preserving gulls‘ eggs, as was done on Saint Kilda in Scotland. A layer of black greasy mould with charcoal, animals and bird bones at Treveneague is also very suggestive of food storage. Diodorus Siculus stated that Iron Age people in Britain stored their grain in „underground repositories“, adding contemporary evidence[dubious ] to the speculation that they were mainly used for food storage. Excavated examples at Halliggye, Carn Euny and Boden suggest fogous may have been deliberately filled after use or upon abandonment of the associated settlements.

The word derives from the Celtic *ifócw, meaning „cave“. In the past, locals in Cornwall have called them „fuggy-holes“ but this term is seldom used today.

Tacitus describes the Germans hollowing out underground caves, covering them with manure and using them as storehouses and refuges from winter frosts. He also claimed that they hid in their boltholes to escape detection by raiders, which is one function of the souterrains of Gaul and early medieval Ireland. Fogous may have had a similar function to the underground kivas of Puebloan peoples.

Other underground structures such as „earth houses“ or souterrains have some similarities with fogous. An example of an excavated souterrain is the site at Rosal, Strath Naver, Sutherland. In this example no finds were made inside the structure and the roof may have been only partially covered with stones, a timber roof being present on part of it. It was suggested that souterrains could have been used as byres or barns. Fogous are often associated with dwellings such as Iron Age villages.

Petrospheres or „stone balls“ have been found in souterrains and, as possible symbols of power within prehistoric society, this discovery suggest a use other than basic storage of food and resources.

Halliggye Fogou on the Trelowarren estate is generally accepted to be the largest and best surviving fogou.

Other unspoiled fogous survive at Carn Euny, Boleigh near Lamorna, Pendeen and Trewardreva near Constantine, the last of which is known locally as Pixie’s Hall or Piskey Hall.

Partially destroyed fogous exist at Chysauster, which is in the care of English Heritage and which has been blocked up for safety; at Boden Vean near Manaccan and at Lower Boscaswell close to Pendeen.

Evidence of possible former fogous can be found at Porthmeor; at Higher Bodinar; at Castallack and at Treveneague. Another was found during rescue excavations at Penhale Round on the A30, the most easterly example, but this has since been destroyed.

Bezirk Dresden

Der Bezirk Dresden wurde 1952 nach Auflösung der Länder in der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik als einer von insgesamt 14 Bezirken eingerichtet.

Durch die Siegelordnung der DDR vom 28. Mai 1953 verloren alle regionalen Wappen ihre Bedeutung als Marke bzw. Siegel. Jedoch wurden die Wappen der Städte und Kreise weiterhin an Gebäuden oder in Publikationen verwendet, ohne eine amtliche Funktion zu erfüllen. Das in einigen Büchern verwendete Wappen des Bezirkes Dresden zeigt in Wirklichkeit das Wappen der Stadt Dresden. Amtlich war das Siegelwappen der DDR. Erst durch die Kommunalverfassung der DDR vom 17. Mai 1990 konnten Gemeinden und Kreise erstmals wieder ausdrücklich Wappen führen und als Siegel verwenden.

Der Bezirk umfasste den

sowie folgende Kreise:

Mit der Wiedererrichtung der Länder auf dem Gebiet der DDR im Jahre 1990 wurden die Bezirke aufgelöst. Der Bezirk Dresden wurde dem Freistaat Sachsen zugeordnet. 1991 entstanden in Sachsen die Regierungsbezirke Chemnitz, Dresden und Leipzig mit ähnlichem Zuschnitt wie die vormaligen Bezirke.

Cottbus | Dresden | Erfurt | Frankfurt (Oder) | Gera | Halle | Karl-Marx-Stadt | Leipzig | Magdeburg | Neubrandenburg | Ost-Berlin (gleichgestellt) | Potsdam | Rostock | Schwerin | Suhl

Bautzen | Bischofswerda | Dippoldiswalde | Dresden-Land | Dresden (Stadtkreis) | Freital | Görlitz | Görlitz (Stadtkreis) | Großenhain | Kamenz | Löbau | Meißen | Niesky | Pirna | Riesa | Sebnitz | Zittau